Tenso Japan Forwarding Service Review

by - Friday, January 22, 2016


This post was supposed to be posted a month ago, but because I was busy moving to a new place that's why the post got delayed. Moving can be very tiring and stressing, especially when it was done in the very last minute! Anyways, I'm just glad I wouldn't have to move again, not till another year... 


In my previous post, I said that I don't trust Tenso Japan service, but because of the current opening campaign they are having right now, no extra fees in any of the services and on top of that, a 5% discount on EMS shipping! How can anyone say no to that?! And since it has merged with Tenso (One of the best forwarding services) I decided to give it a try by ordering a few items from Amazon JP and a piece of clothing from Tokyo Kawaii Life.



TIMELINE:

7 Dec 15 - Placed an order on TKL
8 Dec 15 - Placed an order on Amazon JP
9 Dec 15 - Order from TKL arrived at TJ's warehouse
10 Dec 15 - Order from Amazon JP arrived at TJ's warehouse
11 Dec 15 - Received notifications about my order from TKL & Amazon JP
12 Dec 15 -  Applied for combining service
15 Dec 15 - Received notification about completion of combining
17 Dec 15 - Paid and received notification of payment
18 Dec 15 - Package got shipped
22 Dec 15 - Package arrived, went to the post office to get the package myself

When the packages had been delivered to TJ's warehouse, I was expecting to be notified by them since it's stated on their site that they'll notify and give the shipping quote to the customer on the same day the package is received by them but I received no notifications for both of my packages, so I panicked. Sent them an enquiry about my packages on 10th of Dec; 2 PM, and at 4:50 PM, I got a reply from them telling me to give the details of my packages. I replied immediately, but it was already 5:10 PM and since Japan is an hour ahead, it was already 6:10 PM. I have to wait till the next day since their working hour is from 10am to 5pm, and I was told that they were still processing parcels that were received on the 9th of Dec. Few hours later, on the very same day, I finally received notifications for my orders.

On 12th of Dec, I applied for my packages to be combined, and after that, I sent them an email requesting for one of my items to be wrapped with bubble wrap but was told that they were unable to accept my request as my packages were at the other warehouse, where combining is being applied to. They told me to send them an email along with the order no. My packages were combined together on the 15th, yet I received no reply from them so I sent them another email on the 17th, the same day which I paid for my package and was told that they can no longer accept any wrapping request once payment is done because by adding more wrapping, the weight of the package will increase.

At this point, I was like WTF?  Because I only wanted to get a 3DS protector case to be wrapped, and I'm sure it wouldn't weigh more than 20g, but I do understand that if everyone does that it would be troublesome for them, so it's understandable why they didn't accept my request but what I couldn't accept is that in the email they told me to kindly accept any damages if the item arrived broken, which it didn't, thank god.

Unfortunately, something went wrong with my camera and the photos I've taken of the package when it first arrived is gone... It came in a huge white envelope, and they used the box from my order on Amazon JP. It's just normal packing, everything got thrown together and a few pieces of recycled paper was placed on top of the items.

Rating:

Will I be using them again? Yes, since their service fees are cheaper than the other forwarding companies; I'll probably only use Tenso Japan when there's a promotion going on, if not, I don't think I'll be using them that much. I definitely do recommend them if you're in no rush to get your package, if not, no because they can be a bit slow, especially when there's a promotional campaign going on, it gets even slower.

I recently just placed an order on TKL, and I'll be using their service again. If there is any change of my opinion on Tenso Japan, I'll just update this post instead of posting a new one, so do check this post out once in a while as I'll update it from time to time.


Thank You So Much For Reading!!

You May Also Like

1 comments

  1. They might have been a bit overwhelmed around Christmas shopping time, and/or improved their process in the meantime. I just went through my first Amazon JP order through Tenso, and received notification about the package having arrived at their warehouse very quickly. I also got the notification that they sent the package out only a few hours after paying for the shipping. On the other hand, I also didn't use any of their other services such as package consolidation.

    Since their quotes are directly related to the weight of the package down to 100g steps, it can be difficult to estimate the cost beforehand if you don't know how heavy the product you're ordering is, especially since the packaging will count towards it as well. I estimated the weight of my package very poorly, so it ended up being almost 1kg heavier than I assumed. Because of that, it no longer qualified as a "small package" for Japan Post, and a fully insured express shipment ended up actually being the cheapest option.

    The package was sent from Tenso on a Saturday, left Japan for Switzerland in the night to Sunday, and spent around one more day in domestic customs clearance. Overall, the delivery time was around 4 days – 1 day to get it from Amazon JP to Tenso, 2 days for international shipping to Switzerland, and one more day of laying around at domestic customs for the very highly qualified and important work the customs officials do there (I'm being sarcastic). Overall, I think that's very good. It wasn't a very cheap delivery, but that's mainly due to my weigth miscalculation. I'm very happy with Tenso's service and will definitely be using it again if I have something else I want to get from Japan. What really annoyed me the most about the whole process, if you couldn't tell already, is that the fee I pay for domestic customs is almost as high as the 2-day express shipment from Japan to Switzerland including Tenso's fee. For one of those two bills, I at least got a useful service in return.

    ReplyDelete